- Traducir al español
- Register or Enroll
- Relocate to Hawarden
- Apply For:
- Download Documents
- A Digging Permit from Iowa One Call
- A Tee Time
- Garbage Service
- Directions to City Hall
- Telephone & Cable Service
- Utility Service
- City Code
- Chapter 1
- Chapter 2
- Chapter 3
- Chapter 5
- Chapter 6
- Chapter 7
- Chapter 8
- Chapter 9
- Chapter 10
- Chapter 15
- Chapter 16
- Chapter 17
- Chapter 18
- Chapter 19
- Chapter 20
- Chapter 21
- Chapter 22
- Chapter 23
- Chapter 24
- Chapter 25
- Chapter 26
- Chapter 30
- Chapter 35
- Chapter 36
- Chapter 37
- Chapter 40
- Chapter 45
- Chapter 46
- Chapter 47
- Chapter 50
- Chapter 51
- Chapter 55
- Chapter 56
- Chapter 60
- Chapter 61
- Chapter 62
- Chapter 63
- Chapter 64
- Chapter 65
- Chapter 66
- Chapter 67
- Chapter 68
- Chapter 69
- Chapter 70
- Chapter 75
- Chapter 76
- Chapter 80
- Chapter 90
- Chapter 91
- Chapter 95
- Chapter 96
- Chapter 105
- Chapter 106
- Chapter 110
- Chapter 111
- Chapter 112
- Chapter 113
- Chapter 115
- Chapter 116
- Chapter 117
- Chapter 118
- Chapter 119
- Chapter 120
- Chapter 121
- Chapter 122
- Chapter 123
- Chapter 135
- Chapter 136
- Chapter 137
- Chapter 138
- Chapter 139
- Chapter 145
- Chapter 150
- Chapter 151
- Chapter 155
- Chapter 156
- Chapter 165
- Chapter 166
- Chapter 167
69.01 Park Adjacent to Curb
69.02 Park Adjacent to Curb – One-way Street
69.03 Angle Parking
69.04 Angle Parking – Manner
69.05 Parking for Certain Purposes Illegal
69.06 Parking Prohibited
69.07 Persons With Disabilities Parking
69.08 No Parking Zones
69.09 All Night Parking Prohibited
69.10 Large Vehicle Parking
69.11 Snow Removal
69.12 Snow Routes
69.13 Bicycle Parking in Business District
69.14 School Bus Loading Zones
69.01 PARK ADJACENT TO CURB. No person shall stand or park a vehicle in a roadway other than parallel with the edge of the roadway headed in the direction of lawful traffic movement and with the right-hand wheels of the vehicle within eighteen (18) inches of the curb or edge of the roadway except as hereinafter provided in the case of angle parking and vehicles parked on the left-hand side of one-way streets. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.361)
69.02 PARK ADJACENT TO CURB – ONE-WAY STREET. No person shall stand or park a vehicle on the left-hand side of a one-way street other than parallel with the edge of the roadway headed in the direction of lawful traffic movement and with the left-hand wheels of the vehicle within eighteen (18) inches of the curb or edge of the roadway except as hereinafter provided in the case of angle parking. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.361)
69.03 ANGLE PARKING. Angle or diagonal parking is permitted only in the following locations: (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.361)
- Tenth (10th) Street, on the north side, from the alley between Avenue E and Avenue F to Central Avenue, and on the south side from Avenue F to Central Avenue.
- Central Avenue, on both sides, from 10th Street to 7th Street.
- Ninth (9th) and 8th Streets, on both sides, from Avenue F to Avenue H.
- Avenue P, on the east side, from 12th Street to 14th Street.
69.04 ANGLE PARKING – MANNER. Upon those streets or portions of streets which have been signed or marked for angle parking, no person shall park or stand a vehicle other than at an angle to the curb or edge of the roadway or in the center of the roadway as indicated by such signs and markings. No part of any vehicle, or the load thereon, when parked within a diagonal parking district, shall extend into the roadway more than a distance of sixteen (16) feet when measured at right angles to the adjacent curb or edge of roadway. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.361)
69.05 PARKING FOR CERTAIN PURPOSES ILLEGAL. No person shall park a vehicle upon public property for more than forty-eight (48) hours, unless otherwise limited under the provisions of this chapter, or for any of the following principal purposes: (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.236 )
- Sale. Displaying such vehicle for sale;
- Repairing. For lubricating, repairing or for commercial washing of such vehicle except such repairs as are necessitated by an emergency;
- Advertising. Displaying advertising;
- Merchandise Sales. Selling merchandise from such vehicle except in a duly established market place or when so authorized or licensed under this Code of Ordinances.
69.06 PARKING PROHIBITED. No one shall stop, stand or park a vehicle except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a peace officer or traffic control device, in any of the following places:
- Crosswalk. On a crosswalk. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.358 )
- Center Parkway. On the center parkway or dividing area of any divided street. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.236 )
- Mailboxes. Within twenty (20) feet on either side of a mailbox which is so placed and so equipped as to permit the depositing of mail from vehicles on the roadway. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.236 )
- Sidewalks. On or across a sidewalk. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.358 )
- Driveway. In front of a public or private driveway. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.358 )
- Intersection. Within an intersection or within ten (10) feet of an intersection of any street or alley. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.358)
- Fire Hydrant. Within five (5) feet of a fire hydrant. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.358 )
- Stop Sign or Signal. Within ten (10) feet upon the approach to any flashing beacon, stop or yield sign, or traffic control signal located at the side of a roadway. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.358 )
- Railroad Crossing. Within fifty (50) feet of the nearest rail of a railroad crossing, except when parked parallel with such rail and not exhibiting a red light. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.358 )
- Fire Station. Within twenty (20) feet of the driveway entrance to any fire station and on the side of a street opposite the entrance to any fire station within seventy-five (75) feet of said entrance when properly sign posted. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.358 )
- Excavations. Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction when such stopping, standing or parking would obstruct traffic. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.358 )
- Double Parking. On the roadway side of any vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.358 )
- Hazardous Locations. When, because of restricted visibility or when standing or parked vehicles would constitute a hazard to moving traffic, or when other traffic conditions require, the Council may cause curbs to be painted with a yellow color and erect no parking or standing signs. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.358 )
- Churches, Nursing Homes and Other Buildings. A space of fifty (50) feet is hereby reserved at the side of the street in front of any theatre, auditorium, hotel having more than twenty-five (25) sleeping rooms, hospital, nursing home, taxicab stand, bus depot, church, or other building where large assemblages of people are being held, within which space, when clearly marked as such, no motor vehicle shall be left standing, parked or stopped except in taking on or discharging passengers or freight, and then only for such length of time as is necessary for such purpose. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.360)
- Alleys. No person shall park a vehicle within an alley in such a manner or under such conditions as to leave available less than ten (10) feet of the width of the roadway for the free movement of vehicular traffic, and no person shall stop, stand or park a vehicle within an alley in such a position as to block the driveway entrance to any abutting property. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to a vehicle parked in any alley which is eighteen (18) feet wide or less; provided said vehicle is parked to deliver goods or services. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.236)
- Ramps. In front of a curb cut or ramp which is located on public or private property in a manner which blocks access to the curb cut or ramp. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.358)
- In More Than One Space. In any designated parking space so that any part of the vehicle occupies more than one such space or protrudes beyond the markings designating such space.
69.07 PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES PARKING. The following regulations shall apply to the establishment and use of persons with disabilities parking spaces:
- Establishment. Persons with disabilities parking spaces shall be established and designated in accordance with Chapter 321L of the Code of Iowa and Iowa Administrative Code, 661-18. No unauthorized person shall establish any on-street persons with disabilities parking space without first obtaining Council approval.
- Improper Use. The following uses of a persons with disabilities parking space, located on either public or private property, constitute improper use of a persons with disabilities parking permit, which is a violation of this Code of Ordinances: (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321L.4)
- A. Use by an operator of a vehicle not displaying a persons with disabilities parking permit;
- B. Use by an operator of a vehicle displaying a persons with disabilities parking permit but not being used by a person issued a permit or being transported in accordance with Section 321L.2[1b] of the Code of Iowa;
- C. Use by a vehicle in violation of the rules adopted under Section 321L.8 of the Code of Iowa.
- Wheelchair Parking Cones. No person shall use or interfere with a wheelchair parking cone in violation of the following:
- A. A person issued a persons with disabilities parking permit must comply with the requirements of Section 321L.2A(1) of the Code of Iowa when utilizing a wheelchair parking cone.
- B. A person shall not interfere with a wheelchair parking cone which is properly placed under the provisions of Section 321L.2A(1) of the Code of Iowa.
69.08 NO PARKING ZONES. No one shall stop, stand or park a vehicle in any of the following specifically designated no parking zones except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the direction of a peace officer or traffic control signal. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.236 )
- On Avenue E throughout the corporate limits of the City.
- On all minor street approaches for a distance of 35 feet in advance of the stop signs on all exit sides of the minor streets for a distance of 35 feet beyond the far crosswalks, except at Avenue F. Central Avenue and Avenue I, where the parking shall be outside of 15 feet, instead of 35 feet.
- On the north side of 10th Street from Avenue E east to Avenue H.
- On the north side of 10th Street from Avenue E to the alley between Avenue E and Avenue F.
- On the south side of 10th Street from Avenue E east to Avenue F.
- On both sides of 10th Street from Avenue H to Avenue I.
- On both sides of 10th Street from the alley between Avenue I and Avenue K east to the east corporation line.
- On the west side of Avenue I from 9th Street to 13th Street.
- On the east side of Avenue I, between 12th Street and 13th Street.
- On the west side of Avenue O between 9th Street and 10th Street.
- On the north side of 9th Street from Avenue N to Avenue O.
- On the east side of Avenue D from 9th Street to 10th Street.
- On the east side of Avenue L between 10th Street and 11th Street, and on the west side of Avenue L for the 100 feet south of the southwest corner of Avenue L and 11th Street.
- On the south side of 11th Street for the 50 feet west of the western edge of Avenue L.
69.09 ALL NIGHT PARKING PROHIBITED. It is unlawful for any person to park a motor vehicle on Central Avenue in the City between 7th Street and 10th Street, between the hours of 3:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m.
69.10 LARGE VEHICLE PARKING.
- No vehicle, trailer or combination thereof shall be parked on any street, alley or public right-of-way in any residentially zoned area (R-1, R-2 and MH) for longer than two hours in any 24-hour period if the vehicle, trailer or combination thereof is any one of the following: non-motorized (not capable of propelling itself on the street); exceeds a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds, or is more than 25 feet in length.
- The stopping or parking of any truck or motor vehicle drawing a trailer or semi-trailer is prohibited in the following locations:
- A. On Central Avenue between 7th Street and 10th Street.
- B. On 8th Street and 9th Street between Avenue F and Avenue H.
- C. On 10th Street between Avenue F and the intersection with Avenue K.
69.11 SNOW REMOVAL. No person shall park, abandon or leave unattended any vehicle on any public street, alley, or City-owned off-street parking area through the duration of any snow fall or snow storm or ice storm and up to twelve (12) hours after cessation of the same, except upon streets which have been fully and completely opened from curb to curb, or in the event of an emergency duly reported to the Police Department, and this ban shall be of uniform application. (Code of Iowa, 321.236)
69.12 SNOW ROUTES. The Council has designated all streets in the City as snow routes. When conditions of snow or ice exist on the traffic surface of a designated snow route, it is unlawful for the driver of a vehicle to impede or block traffic. (Code of Iowa, Sec. 321.236)
69.13 BICYCLE PARKING IN BUSINESS DISTRICT. Bicycles when parked in the Business District shall be parked in zones or places designated and marked for that purpose. It is unlawful to park any bicycle along buildings in the Business District or along the street where they may interfere with traffic, or with persons getting in or out of motor vehicles. †
69.14 SCHOOL BUS LOADING ZONES. Parking in front of public schools is prohibited in areas identified as School Bus Loading Zones, during any day in which school is being held, between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. of said day.